The Computer Age & Why I Can't Keep Up

I think technology is great. Don't get me wrong- it has done a lot of wonderful things in terms of simply making it easier and faster to get directions, send mail to friends and family, figure out the history of something, figuring out what the derivation of a word is, etc. etc. However, it seems that technology moves at the speed of lightning and we often have trouble keeping up. For example, I remember when I first went away to college back in 2000. My dad had just bought me this brand new, top-of-the-line Gateway computer. The thing was huge and took up a lot of space, but it was supposed to be "the best" therefore, I didn't mind it. Also, computers (way back then) were all built like that; bulky and obtrusive.

The year after I got to college, laptops were becoming increasingly popular, and then this novel idea of having a computer screen that was flat became a hit almost immediately. There I was, suddenly, stuck with this monstrosity of a computer; this beast that haunted me because all I wanted was a little more space. I eventually ended up giving the computer back to my dad to leave at our house and in exchange, he gave me a flat screen computer. Ah- finally some room to breathe!

Now, I want a laptop so I can take my photos, emails, word documents and web sites with me wherever I travel. When will this madness ever end? I've watched my mother (who has an Apple computer) go through several upgrades within the span of four years because every year, they change the software and make it "better". Eventually, they make the software so that it is no longer compatible with your computer, thereby forcing you to get a new computer. Ugh- what a nightmare. Even with ipods now, there are always updates and upgrades being made. You could buy a brand new ipod one year and then the following year, have it be outdated and "old". You've got to keep up people!

There is no excuse, it seems, to have an outdated computer, cell phone, printer, ipod or any other electrical device for that matter. These technology gurus are hitting people where it hurts the most: their pockets (or wherever you keep your money). But the sad thing is, that we are a society who is addicted to technology. This is why the people behind technology are making so much money! Maybe it's the commercials and advertising or marketing. Maybe it's the insane jealousy that we feel when we see someone who has something that we don't. Whatever it is, it seems like technology keeps moving forward- always one or two steps ahead of us, and we're just trying to play "catch-up" in order to keep up. Does anyone even stop to think anymore before they purchase an electronic item? Do they ever stop and ponder whether or not they truly need the iphone versus a regular cell phone versus just having a land line versus just using two cans connected with a string in the middle? I wonder...



See Also : Cheap Handbags4u iphone 3gs reviews Halloween Costumes UK

0 comments:

Post a Comment